Sunday, August 8, 2010

Why I'm starting this blog



I am starting this blog because there is a misconception among some of us who support Israel that American Islamophobia does not affect the rights of other religious minorities in the United States, including Jews.

Most of us have heard the quote attributed to Martin Niemöller: "They came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for me and by that time no one was left to speak up."

The rights and liberties of ONE religious minority are the rights and liberties of ALL. Discriminating against Muslims is not good for the Jews, or the Jehovah's Witnesses, or the Seventh Day Adventists, or the Bahá’ís, or the Wiccans. Discrimination against ANY religious group threatens the freedom of everyone.

The photos of myself that I'll be posting with various scarves are intended as a visual aid to illustrate my point. Islamophobia has reached such ridiculous proportions that simply wearing a scarf can be perceived as complicity with terrorism. I will not be afraid to wear a scarf, and I will not be afraid to speak out against discrimination against any religious group, including Islam.

Today's post features a "Prayer of Jabez" prayer shawl.

No comments:

Post a Comment